Friday, July 3, 2015

A Portrait Of A young Woman.

Here is a little sketch I did while drinking coffee at the local cafe. There was a magazine there and this face was in it, but a lot of the face was covered by her hand so I had to construct some of it.

I did this in a little sketchbook that is about 5x9 in size. I used charcoal and graphite with various softness and hardness.  Working in a little sketchbook is hard because everything is so tight and a little error is really a big error. To work small you have to get close to the work and I don't like to do that; I want to work at arm's length like when I am working on an easel.

Woman's face sketched in a cafe.


I find that the head that is at an angle and 3/4 view is very difficult for me, so I draw them a lot in an attempt to better my skill. I had trouble keeping the eyes at the proper angle and the line of the far cheek correct.

The resource picture had those "Smoky" eyes where the eyeshadow is dark, so I use a light graphite for the eyes and then a medium charcoal to bring out the details and the lashes.

I am still not happy with this sketch and even now see things I would change but it is time to set her free and move on to other projects.

(c) Adron

I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. 
Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.