Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Charcoal And Pencil Portrait Of A Young Man

Whenever I have to wait for my kids at any place I take my bag with sketch stuff and draw something rather than waste the time being impatient.

This is a picture of a young man who was in a photo of a couple of people in a desert or on a beach.   I liked the piercing look he had. The resource material showed a lot of dark shadows and long dark hair but art is editing so I change things to give it a softer quality.

Charcoal portrait of a young man on the beach.

I lightly drew this in 2b pencil and then went over it with a hard charcoal pencil. I added a little more with the 2 b pencil and then went to a medium charcoal. I did a very little blending with a stub since I wanted it to retain a quality of a drawing. I finished with a little more charcoal and used a kneaded erasure to soften some areas.  He had long black hair but I left it mostly out since fashions change.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.