Saturday, June 27, 2015

Watercolor Portrait Of An Old Guy With A Ponytail

This was a project I worked on for about a week, off and on. I know some people can create a masterpiece in a day or less but I just don't know how they do it. I find that I need to study a picture for a while, sketch it a few times to work things out and then paint in stages with constant revision and critique along the way.   I wonder if I get done or just get tired of the project.

I liked his face it had deep complicated shadows, contours, texture, and wrinkles so it was a joy to make something out of it.  I wanted to make it more ethereal so that you needed to look at it for a moment before you realized it was a face but I got involved with the image and kept adding detail.

Watercolor Portrait of Old Guy With a Ponytail.

I used the brush very wet and kept splashing color into puddles of color sometimes letting it dry and then splashing fresh color on top. I regretted not leaving more of the paper empty on the far left side of the face and a few other random places.

I think I made it too representational and should have kept it more impressionistic especially with the shadow being so dramatic.  It is not my goal to make a super-realistic picture but to try to find something spiritual and give that voice.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look.  
To see more like this search the labels on the side or choose from the list of favorites in the sidebar. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.

 Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.

(C)Adron Dozat