Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Charcoal Pencil Sketch of a Young Model

This is a sketch I did of a young woman.  I found her picture in a clothing catalogue. Catalogues and magazines are good sources to find subjects to draw. This woman was modeling a swimsuit. I thought her young face was a nice challenge. I made changes to her hair and took out the hand in the hair, it is a portrait of her face and I didn't want to have things to distract from the face. I only did a strap on one shoulder of the suit only enough to show she was wearing something without making the clothing the subject of the sketch; making decisions like that are part of the fun of a sketch.




I took about 5 hours to sketch this. I kinda got board I would work on it another hour or so. It was done in charcoal pencil on acid free paper.  

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.