Monday, August 27, 2012

Charcoal and Chalk Portrait Young Model

Charcoal and Chalk Portrait of Young Model
This is a sketch I did in charcoal with chalk highlights from a photograph of a young lady.

It was a quick study to prepare for a painting. I started with a layout pencil. After I got the basic features in place I sketched the next layer with a medium charcoal pencil. I Did a lot of blending with a stub. After I finished that step I went over the highlights with a chalk pencil and did more blending with a stub. I found I had to clean my stub to avoid a lot of transfer from one area to another. I was pleased with how the chalk and charcoal interacted giving some soft half tones.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.

Here is a link to a book on drawing that may be helpful: Portrait Drawing By Blake, Wendon (Google Affiliate Ad)