Saturday, June 2, 2012

Charcoal Drawing Of A Young Man With A Beard

I drew this sketch at a cafeteria while waiting for the group to finish and leave. The man is about twenty years old, I tried to capture his pudgy nose, curly hair, and eyes. It was drawn with charcoal in a sketchbook. I touched it up a little before taking the picture.

Charcoal Sketch of a Young Man With a Beard
I had trouble getting the balance of the faced right it seemed lopsided for a while. I wanted to keep it simple, so that it would be a capture of the moment and the time we were spending together, but as I worked on it it took on its own life and became more of a complete picture than I anticipated. The shadows were the biggest area of frustration for me, I felt they were too dark on one side of the face and too light in the background, but after working it over with a blending stub and kneaded eraser it finally got some balance.

Considering how little time I spent sketching it I am pretty happy with the results.