Monday, February 27, 2017

Charcoal and Pencil Portrait Of Young Woman

 I do not attempt to draw something to make it look like a photo but I want my drawings to look like a drawing so I leave some of the creative processes in place and use the pencil strokes to give a rough effect, as you can see here in a little sketch I did while watching tv with my wife.

I hide some paper and pencils in a box under the couch so when I am in the living room I can just pull them out and do a little doodle.

My inspiration was a woman in a magazine. It was just the first one I saw and had no real reason other than keeping busy during my wife's show.

The face at three-quarters with a tilt is one I have a lot of difficulty with so it turned out to be a good choice since I could use the practice.

I started with a light pencil sketch and then went over it with a light charcoal pencil. I use the rubbing stub to blend and then reworked the whole picture again. I had to use a kneaded erasure a bit to keep things clean. I noticed some of my original pencil marks from my beginning sketch was creating an interesting effect of randomness as they crossed some other lines, so instead of eliminating them, I went over them again to deepen the value and left them in. I reworked the entire project again using a darker charcoal pencil and did more cleaning up. I reintroduced some of the pencil effect in the shadow behind the head in the upper left and lower areas.


Sketch while watching TV


It was a fun picture to draw.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. 
Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Use the search box to find more of my work you might like or try one of the favorites in the sidebar.

Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.

(c) Adron