Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Charcoal Sketch Of Man with a Hard Look About Him

It is not an exact representation of the actor Jeremy Renner but an attempt to capture his hard edge.

Charcoal drawing inspired by Jeremy Renner

This was a quick drawing in charcoal pencil. I didn't take the time to smooth out the lines and make it look soft since the emotion is cold and the expression is serious. I had only about 45 minutes to work on it.

I CHANGED MY MIND
I was going to leave a lot of places empty like a statement but there is a rare completeness in this man's face that speaks of an ideal of fulfilled manhood that it would be a misstatement to draw him as anything less. It is nice to find a face to draw that is truly manly.

DARK
I wanted the dark areas to be deep and somber but was afraid that too much black would overpower the picture. I was afraid the face would be too white by contrast, (I regret it is a little paler than what I was hoping for).

LIGHT
I thought about adding a little white charcoal to the highlights but decided it would make the picture too complicated.

If I had more time to work on it I would give more attention to the overall value of the face and make it a shade darker and deepen the shadows some; I would have worked on the eyes more since that was where the power of the expression is.