Monday, January 28, 2013

Charcoal Portrait of Woman with Earrings

Charcoal portrait of a woman with Earrings.

Charcoal Portrait of Woman With Earrings.  

I started this while my kid was at a music lesson, and finished it after work the next day. I don't really know if you can truly say I finished it maybe I just got tired of the problems I was having. My eyes were itchy from an allergy attack and they were driving me crazy. I had kept my art bag in my car all day and the pencils were cold and the kneaded erasure was not working properly. I did not know they were less sticky when they are cold; this is something to keep in mind.

The pose was of a woman in my resource material had her head tilted back slightly. I do not normally care for this position but I liked the shadows on her face since the light source was slightly behind. There were a lot of slight variations in the shadows and a lot of half values to play with. I wanted to do something a little minimalist and yet representational at the same time so I left out most of the hair, but it still looks like a very common portrait. I did not draw the clothing just a few lines around the neck and shoulders.

Well it was a fun few minutes to pass the time at least.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.