Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Charcoal Portrait of Woman at Dentist Office

This is a picture I did where I really wanted to focus on the eyes

Charcoal Portrait of Woman, Focus on Eyes. 
You would not believe I spent two hours on this, but I kept working it over and only doing the areas that interested me.  My technique is to start drawing lightly with an hb charcoal pencil or graphite pencil and then switch to  progressively darker and softer pencils. I carry a drawing kit with me that has my charcoal and graphite pencils, but I was in a place that needed me to be quiet and I didn't want to snap open and close my box to get things so I only used an hb charcoal pencil with this one. That means it is lighter (and doesn't photo very well).

There were a lot of half values and shading in this picture, which also didn't photo well.

I have been experimenting with a style and trying to keep things minimal such as the hair and clothing. I am hoping to keep a focus on the parts of the project that interest me, and has something to communicate.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.