Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Charcoal Portrait Of A Young Woman

This is a portrait of a young woman I drew in charcoal. She was a model in an advert that came in the mail.  I changed the hair and earrings to make the picture more simple and pleasing to look at. To edit is the artist responsibility.

Charcoal Portrait of a Young Woman

This was a picture where the photo was lighted from the front so she had no shadows to really work with in order to give interest and form to the face. I find more and more people give me photos done in  harsh forward flash but I feel I have done well in finding the shadows and the depth they give without adding or inventing them.

The picture I was working from made her look pale almost washed out like a china doll, I tried to keep the ivory of the skin and still give contours. With hair I feel less is more and I tried to keep it simple.  I did not do anything with the background, maybe I should have since a dark background would give her pale skin more luminosity, but I will save that for a watercolor or oil painting.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.

 Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.