Sunday, April 30, 2017

Watercolor Portrait Of College Girl Daughter Looking up

This is a painting I did of my daughter. It was a picture from one of her social networks.

For some reason, I have a lot of problems photographing my work and getting the colors to show true. The hair is brown with some canary yellow but here the yellow looks kind of green mustard and the brown is not as rich as my painting. The overall tone of the skin is warmer in the original picture.

I did this painting with a lot of thin watery washes adding layers over layers to get the tone, value and the roundness of her features.   I started with alizarin crimson and added yellows on top for the highlights. The shadows were done with violet, lavender and ultramarine blue all washed in with more layers on top of layers. I was constantly lifting color out that was too deep or the wrong hue. Just the face was about a five-hour project. I was using my smallest brushes for most of the time. I spent another hour on the hair, I wish I had thought out the hair more and did something more creative with it than I did.

I normally do the background but here I left it blank just to be different. It really is white and not gray like the photo.


Watercolor Portrait Of Young Woman Lookin Up



Thanks for taking the time to look.

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites. 

 Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.

(c) Adron