Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pencil and Charcoal Sketch Of An Old Man, Old Willie

This is a sketch I did while on vacation. It was of one of the locals. I liked his face- it was full of character. I liked the contrast of the bushy eyebrows and the thin hair. I did not use any blending technique in this project but let the pencil marks show their strokes and movement; I felt it gave the face an older look without adding  age to the subject. The charcoal was used with reserve since I didn't want the portrait to start getting too dark.

I wanted to capture not just the fullness of his face but that it expressed that he had a full and honest life.

The eyes were dark but I lightened them a little on purpose since I was afraid that the values would contrast badly.

Charcoal and Pencil Sketch of Old Willie
 I am very happy with this drawing. I hope to do more like it.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.