Sunday, January 29, 2012

Charcoal Drawing Of A Happy Old Man

I started to draw this while waiting for my kid at her music lesson. It was a picture from a magazine. I used charcoal pencils that were hp, soft, and extra soft. The slight tilt of the head gave me some trouble and keeping the features in proper angles in relation to the tilt was a challenge.

Charcoal Portrait of a happy old man
I always tell my art students to not blow off the ears since most beginners give more attention to eyes and mouth. So I was embarrassed when one of the ears was too low, so I lifted it out some and used my blending stub to mask the mistake by blending a background over it.

The paper was not designed for the abuse I give when I am drawing. It was a  common sketchbook and fine for all dry mediums and I only used it out of lack of having anything else in my art bag. I now realize how critical it is to have a good quality paper to draw on since the sketchbook paper was not giving up the charcoal when I tried to lift it out or it didn't blend as smoothly as I am used to.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.

 Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.