Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Watercolor Portrait of a woman looking down

This is a watercolor portrait of a woman looking down and away.  I did the painting on watercolor paper 9x11.

I began with a pencil drawing that was not too detailed, then I started with the grays.  After laying down the grays I cam back with some of the blues and violets.  I didn't add as much warm tones as I would normally but did put in some rose color and senna to balance the cold hues.

I don't aim to make it very representational but to make an interesting picture that has a statement and beauty.


Watercolor portrait of woman looking down and away. 
Normally I keep black to a minimum but here I went a litter further with the black and grays. The last thing I did was to use a little titanium white acrylic to dampen the colors and give a few whitish highlights.

The last step was to do the detail work of eyelashes eyebrows and some line work in the hair.

As I was painting it I began to fear that the portrait was going to turn out badly but I actually am very happy with the way the painting turned out.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.

 Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.