Saturday, October 6, 2012

Portrait of Man "Smiley" Oil on Canvas

Oil Painting of Old Cesar Smiley
This portrait was so much fun and liberating to paint. It may look spontaneous but it is far from it.

I did three or four sketches first in charcoal and in color medium to get the values and composition the way I wanted it. Once I was happy with the concepts I sketched in charcoal the face on canvas and wet away from it for a while, (a couple of weeks).

After the time away from the project I looked the charcoal sketch over and analyzed it in a fresh light, sometimes I see things after a period away that I do not see at the time. I spent an afternoon and evening painting him and building up the layers and textures. Then put it away again for a time to let the oil cure on the canvas a bit, oil takes months to dry and if you get too much on the canvas it is not workable.

After a month I reworked the eyes, and the dark areas and made a major change to the hair by adding white.   A month later I reexamined the project and made some minor adjustments in values and areas of dark I added some blue and some low-lights to the eye on the right.

Today felt there was a need for a few touches here and there and determined it was done.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.

Follow this link for a product that may help you in your own oil painting: The Encyclopedia of Oil Painting Techniques By Galton, Jeremy (Google Affiliate Ad)