Thursday, September 6, 2012

Charcoal Sketch of Man With Dark Eyes

Charcoal Sketch of Man with Dark Eyes

I did this sketch in charcoal pencil in my sketchbook last week. I wanted to focus on his deep dark eyes and his piercing gaze. I am trying to develop a style of drawing that emphasizes a point of interest and minimizes non-essentials, so you see part of the face is blank. The effect is like an overexposed photograph but it is on purpose.

I did a lot of blending with a stub and tried a little blending with a bristle brush.  I liked how the soft shadows worked out. I tied to use a little white chalk but it didn't have much effect on this paper, it did tone down some of the values of the shadows.

I left the tee-shirt undefined except for a few folds and creases to illustrate the shoulders and arms. I did not use much blending work on the shirt so it would have a contrasting texture.

This drawing took about two and a half hours. It was fun to draw.  The more I work in charcoal the more I appreciate its possibilities and learn the values, tones, and structure of the drawing.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.