Monday, September 19, 2016

Watercolor Portrait of a Young Asian Woman With Black Hair

This is a watercolor I did as a practice study for a larger work. I am trying to study my subjects more carefully to try to understand the person as well as the image that I want to create. This young lady is also an art student. My impression of her is that she is a very spiritual person which, of course, is very rare in a person so young, but her spiritual qualities are something I would love to portray in art.

I am fascinated with her long black hair. I have always drawn or painted people with wavy or curly hair but have not experimented with the possibilities that the flowing lines offer with the long straight hairstyle.   I know she will cut it short because most women get tired of all the work and bother of long hair so I feel I want to do as many studies of her and her beautiful hair while I can. I think this picture shows her as a reflective person. Actually when I took the photo that was the foundation of the painting she was concentrating and working on repairing a broken paint brush.

I might try a different medium for the hair in a future project since the watercolor was a little too translucent. If I used ink I know it would be very stark but maybe acrylic might be a good option. I love working in mixed media it expands your possibilities.

Watercolor of a Young Asian Woman

I really had a hard time with her skin tone she is more chocolate than in my picture but I will get it more correct next time.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. Please take a moment and visit my online art gallery link in the sidebar to purchase my work.

(c) Adron 

Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.

Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.