Sunday, November 1, 2015

Modern Style Portrait Of A Woman In A Black Hat.

This is a mixed media portrait I did of a woman wearing a black hat. I painted it on watercolor paper using watercolor, acrylic, markers, and gesso.

I started with several sketches and then splashed a lot of blue and violet watercolor on the paper. After that dried I began to use markers to start the details. I developed the face with acrylic paint. I try to not use black but lately I have been a little enthralled with the possibilities of its effect on a colorful picture.  I was afraid that I would get carried away but I managed to hold back a little. I used gesso both white and black to tone the colors down.

I found myself working over different places several times to get it right; which is something I do not like to do in watercolor since the colors bleed into each other, but it worked out beautifully.

At first, I was going to leave the hair white but the picture needed more color so I went with the model's hair color, but not in total since I was not really trying to do a portrait but art. If you want the picture to look like the subject then you should take a photo but I wanted to do something more.

I had a lot of fun painting this and hope you enjoy looking at it.

Mixed Media Portrait Of A Young Woman


To see this at my online art store and get pricing for a print or stretched canvas CLICK HERE.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. 


 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.


 Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.