Monday, September 10, 2012

Charcoal Portrait of Young Man Looking Away

Portrait of Young Man Looking Away
I drew this in my sketchbook while my daughter was having her music lesson. It was started with a 2b graphite pencil and finished with a soft 6b charcoal pencil. It took about an hour. I liked the shadows in his face they were different from other 3/4 profile portraits I've seen. I want to leave areas blank on purpose to give an effect. I am not sure what effect it is I am striving for but I am growing my style in that direction. I wish I had more time to explore this type of composition in color medium, but I like charcoal and feel it is teaching me a lot about value and texture. I think I would like to experiment more on darker paper and mix in white chalk for highlights. Drawing the eyes and mouth were difficult because of the pose with the angle. The shadow around the eyes in particular had a restrictive margin of gray, if I went too dark the gray would look like a woman with runny makeup. I found myself putting in black then blending it in and then dabbing it out with a kneaded erasure. I had some of the same struggle with the shadows in the cheeks.


Follow this link to a a product that has been helpful to many in drawing: Portrait Drawing By Blake, Wendon (Google Affiliate Ad)

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.