Sunday, February 5, 2012

Charcoal Sketch of an Angry Youth

I was teaching a class to some home schooled kids and I did this drawing as part of a demonstration of drawing a face. I brought it home and did a little more work on it. Maybe I should have left it as it was in the early outline stages, all artist have the problem of knowing when to stop and not overworking a project and as nice as this turned out I think I lost a little of the freshness of the sketch.

Charcoal Sketch of an Angry Youth
 I used all my charcoal pencils  from hb to extra soft, which is a little unusual for me. This young man has dark skin and I wanted to capture his features and his expression and not just make it a drawing of boy with a dark face.

The paper was inferior since it was from a cheep practice sketchbook I got at the drugstore and it didn't have the lift I would liked to have worked with, so erasing was not working very well and blending was poor.  Just the same I will set it aside, it may end up at the county fair.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.