Saturday, April 16, 2011

Portrait of a Model with Bracelets


Young Woman with Bracelets.
I drew this in wax pencil using black chocolate and sepia also I did a little work with a red watercolor pencil to give her some warmth.  It was a nice change from doing charcoal. I found her picture in an advertisement for a fashion store that came in the mail. I like sketching from advertisements because you don't have to pay a model and you don't have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out a pose and composition since the photographer has already done that. This took about 5 hours. I did a little here  and there while waiting for kids or for the coffee to drip through. If you learn to work in those little minutes you can get more done than you know. I drew this in a wire ring bound sketch  book. I like them because they lay back flat and they don't come apart like the gummed edge sketchbooks. 

Below are some links to some books that help you learn to draw:


Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.