Thursday, November 10, 2011

Wax Pencil Drawing of a Man’s Face

Wax Pencil Drawing of a Man's Face.

I drew this in my sketchbook using wax pencils. I did it in two or three sessions while I was waiting for my kids at different activities.

It was drawn from a small picture. So I had very little details to work with. I added a few touches to his face to fill in some of the features that were lacking.

I finished it twice. After I finished it the first time I left it alone for a few days and then I came back a few days later to admire my drawing and looking at it afresh felt I needed to redo a few things and deepen the values of the face and add a little something to the background.

The pencils were terracotta, chocolate and ivory black. It is good to work a drawing over with few colors so you get practice in establishing the values of light and dark.

Even though the pencils were the wax type I still found I was able to use the blending stub to blend and deepen some of the color.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.

Adron