Sunday, May 5, 2013

Quick Sketch of Young Model in Conte' Pencil

This is a portrait I did of a young woman. I drew this with wax pencils. I used only black, sepia, and chocolate colors for my pallet. It was a practice in monochrome. This kind of project is good to keep in mind the issues of value and tone without getting lost in a lot of colors. Many people have a tendency to use colors instead of having the correct value, and I find that practice in monochrome helps keep my art balanced.

Wax pencil portrait of Young Woman.


At first I was just going to do a quick ten or fifteen minute practice sketch but got so involved with the medium that I kept at it for about an hour. I used a blending stub for the face to give it a smooth soft look but left the pencil strokes define the hair.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.