Saturday, August 11, 2012

Charcoal Portriat of Robber Man

Charcoal Pencil Portrait of Bank Robber in Old West
Bank Robber Man was a sketch I drew this to emphasize the frown around the mouth and the squint of the eyes but still show that he had a meaty heavy face. He is an actor portraying a bank robber in the old west.

I purposely left large areas blank to give focus to the expression of the face in the portrait. I wanted to express the seething anger and bitterness in the spirit of the man and yet create an intriguing picture. I used the blending stub to give the hair a foggy misty edge without clear definition. Another expression of the "Lostness" of the bank robber's soul, is the background shadow that reaches into the hair like fingers express the creeping darkness of the robber's heart.

Aside from the negative connotations of the theme the face is a beautiful face and full of expressiveness.

I used a 2b charcoal pencil and several blending stubs. The paper was a sheet of practice paper in a sketchbook; it was not the best paper but since this was a drawing for fun and practice I don't mind. It is so true in art that you must use good materials to achieve good results. If I was drawing a commission piece for a fee I would have bought a sheet of cold press acid free paper for it.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.