Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Charcoal Portrait of Nicole Kidman, I drew just for fun.

This is a sketch I did from a picture of Nicole Kidman that was in Newsweek Magazine, 01/31/11.  I did it just for fun, but it turned out to be a greater challenge than I anticipated. The pose was beautiful with the tilt of the head and the 3/4 view but that made it harder. The photo was almost monochromatic and had an antique look which meant alot of shading was in half tones. The large areas of dark were dramatic but I wish I had not put in the arm for this composition it kind of threw things off.




I know I did not do her justice but she is so beautiful no one ever could!
This picture was drawn in charcoal on a sheet of 9x11 practice paper. It took about 7 hours, (all those half tones). 

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.