Thursday, December 27, 2012

Young Woman With Black Hair, Charcoal Portrait.

I did this sketch while at the car dealership waiting for my car to be serviced. It was a two hour project.

Woman with Dark Hair, Charcoal in Sketchbook.

The customer lounge at a car dealership is not the best studio to work in, there are a few little things I would have caught if I was working at my desk.

I started this drawing with a common pencil, and after getting things in place used a charcoal pencil set of medium and dark to finish the portrait. I am using a lot of blending stub work in my portraits these days, almost as much as the pencils, especially for the shadowing and staining the paper in the large areas.

The resource material had poor shadows and so I was not able to get the full roundness of many of the facial features. The hair was very black and very bulky, it made her head look too big at the crown but I kept it that way instead of editing I kept it as it was.  I wanted to only outline the hair at first and leave the face framed in a line representation but I was bored at the service station and kept on working it over until it came out as it did.

She was a dark skinned model. I am always afraid I will louse contours in the dark values so I made her lighter than she was, maybe that is not the right approach but I wanted to get the features right.  


Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.