Friday, December 21, 2012

Charcoal Portrait Of Young Blond Woman

Charcoal Portrait of a Young Woman is a sketch I did in my sketchbook while I was waiting for my kids at different appointments. I carry a "Sketch bag" with me when I go out, it is a courier bag that I keep my drawing supplies in so if I have time I do a little drawing.

Charcoal Portrait of Young Blond Woman
I chose to draw this because in my resource material it showed shadows around the face and I liked how the face came forward out of those shadows.

I began with a 2b graphite pencil and drew a light outline, I only wanted to get the features placed and the face "suggested" by the pencil. Then I used a light charcoal pencil to do the first level of shading and sketching. I used a medium charcoal pencil just for a few darker areas. I did a lot of work with the blending stub on the face, mostly on the mouth nose and contours. I returned to the light charcoal pencil for the final details where I wanted to add sharpness to the drawing.

She had brown hair but I want to keep things simple so I left out most of the hair, I like wavy flowing lines so I used them to suggest the hair.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.