Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pencil Drawing, Man With a Crooked Smile

Pencil portrait of a man with a crooked smile. 

This is a sketch I did while waiting for my son at an appointment. It is a man with a crooked smile.

Pencil Drawing Of Man With Crooked Smile. 

I chose this project because the man had a long face and high forehead. I thought his light tones would be a fun challenge. I drew this with several pencils. I chose pencils for this since the man was so fair skinned and had white hair.

I began with a 2b pencil to get everything in place. I then went over it with an hb to get things more defined. For a while I alternated between these two pencils they are similar but have slight differences.

I used the blending stub to round out the face and work in the shadows. I reworked the picture with the pencils for a while and alternated between pencils and stubs.

The background was done with the stub and whatever the material was that had dirtied it from being used. This helps clean the stub for the face work.

The last ten percent was done with a 6b and an 8b pencil. I am always a little cautious with these pencils since they get very dark and make everything a black monochrome; they are really hard to control.

After I finished I took a paper towel and rubbed down the tone of the background to take away the rubbing marks.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.