Friday, May 6, 2011

Color Pencil Portrait of a Little Boy in a Hat


Here is a cute little boy with red cheeks I drew in my sketchbook. It took about 7 hours over a couple of weeks. I found his picture in an old magazine.  I used some high end color pencils and also some watercolor pencils. It was drawn in a 9x11 sketchbook. I used a blending stub extensively on this one to try to get the colors to blend. I often found myself lifting the color out in the highlights with a kneaded eraser and a latex eraser. It was tempting to over work the hat but I didn't want to distract from the face.  There are a few things I was not satisfied with but I got bored with the project. I think if I was more careful when I was starting out and laid out the features with more attention to shape and proportions it would have looked even better. 

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.