Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Portrait Of An Old Cowboy Drawn in Wax Pencil


Wax Pencil Sketch of the Old Cowboy

Here is a portrait I did of an old cowboy. His face was in a magazine, magazaines are good sources for inspiration. I drew this in a sketchbook using wax pencil. It took longer than I would have liked. The photo had a yellow tint from a fire but my palette was only ivory black, chocolate and terracotta, I also used a basic red from a water color pencil.  I have to say that if you buy good supplies it is more rewarding to work with. I found it necessary to blend with a blending stub and then lift with a gummy eraser as well as a latex eraser and since they were all the  higher end products it was easier than when I used cheaper pencils and paper. I like that the pose is from a slight angle; full face pictures are fine for posterity but the face with a slight turn away is interesting. It would have been easy to get involved with the hat and the coat but I wanted to make it a portrait of an old cowboy not a portrait of a cowboy's hat. I tried to sketch the face with the craggy details that give him character and I tried to capture the peaceful contented expression. 



Drawn in a 9x12 spiral bound Strathmore sketchbook on 60 lb paper with Derwit wax pencil, this took about 5 hours, I would charge about $100.00 to sketch a subject like this for a customer.  


Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.