Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pencil Sketch of a Woodcutter

Here is a sketch I did of a man who was carving a ladle out of wood using old craftsman's techniques.  Portraiture of people in the work place are great, they show action without too much drama so the viewers attention is kept on the subject and not carried away by events.
I drew this in pencil in a sketchbook. It took a couple of hours. I was hoping to have a strong contrast with the apron. I wanted to keep the background simple but also wanted to give him a place of being so I put in a few details around him, but I didn't want to distract from the woodcutter so I kept it simple. I experimented with blending stubs on this quite a bit.



This is a pencil sketch I did of a man who was carving spoons out of wood at a historical fair. It was drawn in pencil in my sketchbook.


Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.