Saturday, November 17, 2012

Charcoal Sketch of a Playful Woman.


Charcoal Drawing of Playful Woman


This is a little sketch I did in my free time.

My focus was on trying to capture her mischievous expression. I thought she looked like someone who just played a joke on somebody else.

It doesn't come out in the photo I took but I used a lot of half tones to try to capture her soft youthful face. It is tempting to just draw in the eyes, mouth, nose and other features and not do anything about the skin around and in between. So this time I gave the entire face a "go over" with a blending stub to deposit a slight half value of charcoal. I think this pulled the face forward from the blank untouched background.

I left the hair undeveloped on purpose. For one thing the model had boring hair, another thing is I wanted to focus on the expression. I often wonder if portraits are not dated to a particular time by a hair style, and people say they had funny hair styles in those days; so I always keep the hair simple, that way people will look at the portrait and not at a fashion.

Face in my sketchbook

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.