Sunday, June 17, 2012

Quick Fifteen Minute Sketch of a Man's Face

Working quickly frees you up and forces you to edit where you choose the essentials and minimize the extra details

I drew this sketch while waiting for my son who was having a music lesson. I saw this face in a magazine and it was turned at an angle as he was looking out a window. I propped my sketchbook up on the steering wheel and drew it while holding my sketchbook steady with my knee.


A charcoal drawing of a man's face done
Fifteen minute sketch of a man's face

I started with a 2b charcoal pencil by Generals and after a few hasty lines to place the features I changed to a Generals soft charcoal pencil. The finishing touches around the eyes and neck and a little background was with a Generals ex-soft pencil. When I got home I used a blending stub just on the side of the face and below the chin a little. A few touches with the blending stub brought out the cheeks. I wanted it to be minimalist in a way, so some of it looks a little overdone for me.

The total time spent was about fifteen minutes.

Quick sketch of a man's face. 

I am happy with the results, and will be doing more quick sketches.

(c) Adron

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.

Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.