Friday, June 15, 2012

Pencil Portrait Drawing of a Young Man

Here is an example of a portrait done with Prismacolor pencils in my Strathmore Sketchbook. It took a couple of hours. I really wanted to capture all the different colors that were hinted in the face. The lighting was from behind and all the light on the face was secondary, I usually like a strong light and deep shadows but it is good to get out of your comfort zone and try something different.


Pencil Drawing of a Young Man

I normally avoid using black in any of my work because by mixing colors I feel I get a richer more vibrant black but I made an exception this time to have a consistent black to hopefully tie the project together.

Jeff has a heavy beard and that was a challenge to do without making him look dark in an unnatural way. I did a lot of blending in layers with browns and blues to shadow his beard in.

I thought his tousled hair gave him character; I wanted to make sense of it and still have it casually sticking out. It is easy to get carried away and make his hair just stick out everywhere and careful judgment needs to be taken to not overdo it.

I am happy with it and it was a lot of fun to relax and draw a picture
Color pencil drawing of Jeff.
I drew this just for fun and to practice. I keep a sketchbook in a courier bag and carry it wherever I go. I draw while waiting for kids at different places and at different times.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.

Use the VISIT MY ARTSTORE button to see and purchase my art.

Thank you



(c)Adron Dozat