Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pencil Sketch of a Young Girl Dancing in a Daisy Field

Here is a sketch I did from a picture in a magazine. There was this little girl dancing in a field of flowers, and  she had such a coy pose that I couldn't resist drawing her.  I drew this in my drawing book and used colored pencils. Even though I used colored pencils I still use a blending stub a lot. I find if you use the blending stub over the under drawing the top layers really flow nicely. You have to use a lot more pressure with a blending stub on colored medium than you would with charcoal and you need a different stub for each color since the colors do transfer but I feel it is worth it.  This drawing took about 4 hours and I worked on it off and on for over a week.  Normally I don't do much with the surrounding environment but I felt that she needed a place in time so I drew an impression of the flower field.  The trick was to not let her dissolve into the background since her dress was blue and the background was green, though they are complementary colors I wanted some contrast.  I had to darken the dress and lighten the green grass to keep her forward. A blue dress or shirt is always a good contrast when the subject has warm skin tones. The face was smaller than I like to do but it turned out well, maybe I will just sketch her  face at a future date.




I had trouble with my sketchbook on the scanner and got some unfortunate shadows.

Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.