Saturday, June 18, 2011

Charcoal Portrait of a Tottler

Here is a picture I drew in charcoal of a little totter I once knew. I drew it off of a small wallet photo, I guess it was a picture taken from his preschool class. In any drawing the first 10% is the most important that is when everything gets placed. I made a few mistakes in this earliest part of the picture and had to spend a lot of time going back and redrawing the picture. I usually am very careful in the beginning to make sure the start is a good one. The problem started with the face being tilted in the photo and just slightly turned to the right this threw me off and I had accounted for some of the tilt in part of the portrait and didn't account for the tilt in other parts of the portrait. But after catching my mistakes and correcting them the drawing turned out pretty good. Instead of taking a photo I used the HP scanner to download the picture and it gave the white paper a yellow tint I am not happy about that but don't have time to take a bunch of pictures with my camera and download them.



This picture only took about two and a half hours to draw I used  several charcoal pencils of different grades and a 9 x 12 Srathmore Charcoal sketch pad.

This one  took the blue ribbon at the Howard County Fair.
Please see the tab for pricing options to commission your own portrait in charcoal.