Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Charcoal Drawing Of An Old Woman In A Hat

I found a photo of this nice old lady and was inspired to sketch it. I liked it because of her hat and happy but peaceful expression.

I drew this in charcoal on a practice page. I worked on it for about 4 hours over about 4 sessions.


Charcoal sketch of an old woman in a hat.


The smile was hard and the grey hair was a challenge; I wanted to show it grey and still have highlights shadow and keep its silky texture.

 I kept the hat simple on purpose because I didn't want to make it a picture of hat or clothing but of a person who aged gracefully and with contentment.

It was hard to capture the softness of her skin and the wrinkles without making her look bad.

The photo was small and hard to find the detail, people are always giving me some postage stamp sized photo and wanting a large rendering, but this turned out well and was a satisfying project.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my work. Thanks for taking the time to look. 
Adron 

 Click on an image in the sidebar to see more favorites.


 Use the buttons below to share this with your social networks.