Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My Secret Sketch In The Cafe

I carry a small 4x6 sketch book and drawing supplies with me whenever possible just in case of an urgent urge to sketch.

I was in the courtyard at the mall having a cup of coffee and across the courtyard was a face I couldn't resist drawing. The man was about 65 years old and a little portly, but he had a lot of character in his face. His long silver hair came out of the black beanie and the white goatee was beautiful.

Man's face sketched in mini pocket sketchbook

I tried to draw his face without him knowing, but I think he figured it out and he go up and left the area. I finished the drawing from memory. I spent about ten minutes on it.

I used a pencil to start and then switched to fine tipped markers. I had a brush marker that is going dry and it was not my intention to use it the way I did but the dry brush effect was a nice contrast to the sharpie markers. I do not carry an erasure with me so the pencil shows up as a medium gray.

I have never regretted having my my little sketch book with me but I often regretted not having it.