Sunday, August 5, 2012

Charcoal Portrait of Old Man With Glasses

At first glance, you think the photo or image is over exposed but I purposely drew Mr. B as an unfinished or minimalist drawing leaving the right side of his face undeveloped. In fact, I feel as if I even overdrew this picture a little. I think now that I should have left out the shadow on the left and worked the values of the left side of the portrait a little deeper instead.

Charcoal Portrait of Old Man with Glasses

I drew this sketch in a light charcoal pencil. I used a lot of blending technique with the stub. It was the first time I added chalk to a drawing but I thought I wanted to do a little to bring the eye- glasses forward. I wanted to lighten up his white hair and mustache so I used a little chalk on those elements too. I think I will need to practice using the chalk pencil more; it has a lot of potential, of course, the results would be more dramatic on a grayer paper. (I drew sketch this on white paper but my camera and the internet seem to make it gray).

I was working from a photo the size of a postage stamp and there just was not much detail to bring out in the picture.